William J. Forsyth (1854–1935) was an American Impressionist painter who was part of the "Hoosier Group" of Indiana artists.
Forsyth was the first student of the Indiana School of Art in Indianapolis and entered the Munich Academy along with T. C. Steele and J. Ottis Adams in 1882. He later returned to Indiana in 1888 and was instrumental in founding the Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, serving as an instructor there until 1933. He died March 29, 1935 and was subsequently buried in Section 39, Lot 298 Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, Indiana. Driving east from the SW corner of Section 39, a pink granite monument has been erected to honor the memory of Forsyth (several rows back), together with a bronze bas-relief portrait of the artist (attached thereto).
Forsyth is one of the five members of Indiana's most important group of artists, the Hoosier Group. His work is in many important private collections and several museums including the Haan Mansion Museum of Indiana Art, Indiana State Museum, and Indianapolis Museum of Art. The Family Forsyth exhibit displays works by William Forsyth, Constance Forsyth, and Robert Selby (husband of Evelyn Forsyth) at the Irvington Historical Society
Sorry, there are no products matching your search.
choosing a selection results in a full page refresh