The Brown County Art Gallery was established by the early members of an important regional art colony who began exploring rural southern Indiana in the 1890s. These early artists had been trained in the best art schools of Europe and America and were attracted to the rolling hills of Brown County. It offered both dramatic landscapes and interesting people to serve as subjects for their paintings.
In 1926, they formed the Brown County Art Gallery Artists Association and set up a gallery in a former grocery store donated by a patron. For over eight decades, the Gallery has managed to survive wars, depression, recessions, fire and relocation, making it one of the oldest galleries in the United States. The Association features the work of Indiana’s top professional artists and their work is offered for sale on a daily basis. The collection changes four times a year and offers work in all sizes and price ranges.